Copernicus Glacier Service
Monitoring of glaciers and glacier changes is important for many purposes. The goal of this project is to develope a national service for glaciers in mainland Norway and Svalbard. The Norwegian water resources and energy directorate (NVE) and Norwegian Polar Institute (NPI) are responsible for monitoring glaciers in Norway and Svalbard, respectively.
The project will mainly use optical imagery from Sentinel-2, but also Landsat-8 and other sensors when relevant. The glacier products will be made available from NPI and NVE websites (as Web Map Service's and download) and through the CryoClim portal. Data will also be submitted to GLIMS-project (Global Land Ice Measurements from Space: www.glims.org). Glacier Products that will be produced are:
- Glacier outline, area and calving front
- Glacier surface type and snow line
- Ice velocity
- Glacier crevasses and surge
- Glacier lakes
Sentinel-2 image of glaciers in the Kongsfjorden area, Svalbard, 2 August 2016.
1. Kääb, A., Winsvold, S. H., Altena, B., Nuth, C., Nagler, T. and Wuite, J. 2016. Glacier Remote Sensing Using Sentinel-2. Part I: Radiometric and Geometric Performance, and Application to Ice Velocity. Remote Sensing,8(7), 598. (pdf)
2. Paul, F., Winsvold, S. H., Kääb, A., Nagler, T. and Schwaizer, G. 2016. Glacier Remote Sensing Using Sentinel-2. Part II: Mapping Glacier Extents and Surface Facies, and Comparison to Landsat 8. Remote Sensing, 8(7), 575. (pdf)
3. Schellenberger, T., Van Wychen, W., Copland, L., Kääb, A. and Gray, L. 2016. An Inter-Comparison of Techniques for Determining Velocities of Maritime Arctic Glaciers, Svalbard, Using Radarsat-2 Wide Fine Mode Data. Remote Sensing, 8(9), 785.
4. Altena, B. and Kääb, A. 2017. Elevation change and improved velocity retrieval using orthorectified optical satellite data from different orbits. Remote Sensing, 9(3), 300, doi:10.3390/rs9030300.
5. Klingenberg, T. F. 2017. Evaluation of Sentinel-2: Case Study of Land Cover Classification and Ice Velocity. Master thesis. Physical Geography, Hydrology and geomatics, University of Oslo.
6. Winsvold, S. H. 2017. Mapping glaciers using time-series of remote sensing data. Doctor thesis. Department of Geosciences, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, University of Oslo.
7. Altena B., and Kääb A. 2017. Weekly glacier flow estimation from dense satellite time series using adapted optical flow technology. Frontiers in Earth Sciences - Cryospheric Sciences, 5, Art. 53, doi: 10.3389/feart.2017.00053. (paper)
8. Strozzi, T., Kääb, A. and Schellenberger, T. 2017. Frontal destabilization of Stonebreen, Edgeøya, Svalbard.The Cryosphere, 11, 553-566, doi:10.5194/tc-11-553-2017.
9. Strozzi T., Paul F., Wiesmann A., Schellenberger, T. and Kääb A. 2017. Circum-Arctic changes in the flow of glaciers and ice caps from satellite SAR data between the 1990s and 2017.Remote Sensing, 9(9), Art. 947, doi: 10.3390/rs9090947
10. Winsvold, S.H., A. Kääb, C. Nuth, L.M. Andreassen, W. van Pelt, and T. Schellenberger. 2018. Using SAR satellite data time-series for regional glacier mapping. The Cryosphere, 12, 867-890, https://doi.org/10.5194/tc-12-867-2018. (pdf)
11. Stokes, S., L.M. Andreassen, M.R. Champion, G. D. Corner. 2018. Widespread and accelerating glacier retreat on the Lyngen Peninsula, northern Norway, since their ‘Little Ice Age’ maximum. Journal of Glaciology, 64(243), 100-118. doi:10.1017/jog.2018.3 (pdf)
1. Solveig H. Winsvold, Andreas Kääb, Christopher Nuth, Ward van Pelt, Liss M. Andreassen and Thomas Schellenberger. Glacier mapping using combined optical and SAR time-series. Oral presentation, Nordic Branch Meeting, International Glaciological Society, 26-28 October, 2016, Tromsø, Norway.
2. Alexandra Messerli and Geir Moholdt. Velocity Products from Landsat-8 and Sentinel-2 using ImGRAFT. Poster presentation, Nordic Branch Meeting, International Glaciological Society, 26-28 October, 2016, Tromsø, Norway.
3. Solveig H. Winsvold, Andreas Kääb, Christopher Nuth, Liss M. Andreassen, Ward van Pelt and Thomas Schellenberger. Regional Glacier Mapping by Combination of Dense Optical and SAR Satellite Image Time-Series. Oral presentation. AGU fall meeting, 12-16 December, 2016, San Fransisco, USA.
4. Liss M. Andreassen, Andreas Kääb, Ferdinand Klingenberg, Alexandra Messerli, Geir Moholdt and Solveig H. Winsvold. Oral presentation, GLIMS Meeting at AGU fall Meeting, 13. December, 2016, San Fransisco, USA.
5. Solveig H. Winsvold, Andreas Kääb, Christopher Nuth and Bas Altena. Landsat time-series analysis opens new approaches for regional glacier mapping. Oral presentation (Invited). AGU fall meeting, 12-16 December, 2016, San Francisco, USA.
6. Alexandra Messerli and Geir Moholdt. Norwegian Copernicus Glacier Service: Svalbard Velocity using ImGRAFT. Poster presentation. EARSeL workshop "Remote Sensing of Land Ice and Snow", 7-9 February, 2017, Bern, Switzerland.
7. Liss Marie Andreassen, Solveig H. Winsvold, Ferdinand Klingenberg, Paul Weber, Joaquin Munoz Cobo Belart. Status of GLIMS work NVE, Norway. Oral presentation, GLIMS workshop, 11-13 August 2017, Boulder, Colorado, USA.
8. Solveig H. Winsvold, Andreas Kääb, Christopher Nuth, Liss M. Andreassen, Ward van Pelt and Thomas Schellenberger. Mapping glaciers using time-series of SAR data. Oral presentation, GLIMS workshop, 11-13 August 2017, Boulder, Colorado, USA.
9. Solveig H. Winsvold, Liss M Andreassen, Andreas Kääb, Alexandra Messerli and Geir Moholt. Using the Sentinel satellites for glacier monitoring in Norway. Oral presentation. Nordic IGS branch meeting in Uppsala, Sweden. 25-27 October 2017.
10. A. Messerli and G. Moholdt. Norwegian Copernicus Glacier Service: Glacier products for Svalbard using Sentinel-2. Poster presentation, Svalbard Science Forum, 6.-8. November 2017, Oslo, Norway.
11. R. McNabb, A. Kääb, C. Nuth, L. Girod. Exploiting satellite archives to estimate global glacier volume changes (case study Norway). Presentation, AGU fall meeting, December 2017, San Fransisco, USA.
12. T. F. Klingenberg. Quality assessment of PlanetDEM90 in Norway and its effect on the geometric performance of Sentinel. 2nd Sentinel-2 validation team meeting, 29-31 January 2018, ESA-ESRIN, Frascati, Italy.
13. S. H. Winsvold. Bruk av Sentinel-satellittene i Norges vassdrags- og energidirektorat. Oral presentation. NIFRO-seminar «Anvendt bruk av satellittdata i Norge – nå og i framtiden» at Space Dinner 13 February 2018, Grand Hotel, Oslo, Norway.
14. S. H. Winsvold, L. Andreassen, K. Melvold, K. Müller, M. Sund og N. K. Orthe. Sentinel-satellittene gir nye muligheter for hydrologisk kartlegging. Oral presentation. Norsk Hydrologiråds fagmøte «Ny teknologi for hydrologiske observasjoner» 5 April 2018, SWECO, Oslo, Norway.
15. S. H. Winsvold, A. Kääb, L. Andreassen, K.Melvold, K. Müller, M. Sund og N.K. Orthe. Overvåkning av Norges vannressurser med Sentinel-satellittene. Oral presentation. Geomatikkdagene, 13-15 March 2018, Stavanger, Norway.
16. A. Kääb. Glacier instabilities on Svalbard. Oral presentation, Centre of Earth Evolution and Dynamics, 1 June 2018, Oslo, Norway.
17. L. M. Andreassen, S.H. Winsvold, A. Kääb, A. Messerli, G. Moholdt, T. F. Klingenberg & N.K. Orthe Copernicus Glacier Service – monitoring glaciers in Svalbard and mainland Norway using Sentinel. Poster presentation, Polar 2018, 20 June 2018, Davos, Switzerland.
Project leader: Liss Marie Andreassen, Section for glaciers, ice and snow, Norwegian Water Resources and Energy Directorate (NVE), Postbox 5091, Majorstua, 0301 Oslo, Norway.
Geir Moholdt, Norwegian Polar Insitute, Fram centre, Postbox 6606 Langnes, 9296 Tromsø, Norway
Andreas Kääb, Department of Geosciences, University of Oslo, Postbox 1047 Blindern, 0316 Oslo, Norway